Monday, June 27, 2011

Yellowstone 2011

We finally took our annual trip to Yellowstone about the middle of May. We usually go about mid April but with the crazy weather this year we decided to hold off for a bit.  It actually turned out to be Super weather up there, we barley needed a jacket most of the time and we heard we missed a pretty rainy weekend back home. We headed up Saturday after Braden got off work and met up with Todd, Mary, Jaron and Colton at the Three Bear Lodge in West Yellowstone. It was pretty late when we got up there so we just made our plans for Sunday then it was off to bed. 

We were EXTREMELY lucky with the Bear sitings this year!!! I'm glad we get to go with Colton because I kinda feel like he is the only one who can pray that we see bears and it be ok.  : )  It's been a while so I don't exactly remember the order we saw them in or total number of bears but I think it was around six or seven with seeing a couple of them more than once.

I am So fascinated by bears, they are such beautiful, interesting, and unique animals to watch! I love going and being able to just sit and watch them in their natural habitat instead of at the zoo.  I also love going to Yellowstone early spring because all the animals are just coming out, and having babies and there are not a lot of people so the animals aren't scared of being by the roads yet.  I really enjoy the scenery of Yellowstone but I'm not sure I'd enjoy going every single year if it weren't for the wildlife we are able to enjoy! 

This bear was literally RIGHT by the road, Braden took this picture inside the car.
I love seeing the Grizzly Bears, that is usually what we see most of.  But this year we saw a couple black bears, and also a Brown Black Bear.  I think the black bears seem more cute and 'pet type', their faces and ears just make them look so friendly and cuddly.

This year instead of staying in West the whole time we only stayed there the first night then the rest of the time over in Gardiner.  Last year it seemed like the only place we were seeing wildlife was over on the other side so we decided that we could cut down on driving if we stayed over there. I really liked that idea!!!


I am always amazed at how Stupid people are!  This man was literally JUST across the river from this bear, maybe..... 25 feet away? Not to mention like 100 yards, uphill away from his or any vehicle! I was pretty positive at this point that we were only seconds away from witnessing a bear attack!

So with as lucky as we have been with seeing bears the last couple years it was Braden and Todd's mission to see a wolf this year. Low and behold......
If you look really close you can see that they succeeded. We saw one eating a dear kill. We were all able to see it earlier in the day then everyone left but Braden and I so we were able to go back later that evening.  It was in the same area but had apparently dragged its kill across the road and up the hill a little ways. Interesting to see, but lots littler and harder to watch than bears.

And of course, one of My VERY favoritest parts of Yellowstone in the spring....The baby bison! 
One year I am just going to bring one home with me, they are so dang cute!

Thanks to Braden for taking me, and family for making it so fun!
Todd, Mary, Colton, Jaron, Annie, Braden

6 comments:

Fox said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fox said...

I don't want to make it akward but you guys forgot to invite me...

Austin & Shawnee said...

I am so jealous! I always want to see a bear in yellowstone, but I never get to. Everyone in my family does...and they always call me and rub it in my face. Awesome for you guys though!

Taryn said...

How fun. I'm always disappointed when we go to Yellowstone and never see any bears. How lucky you guys were. And congratulations to Braden on graduating. I bet that is a relief.

Westergard Family said...

oh my goodness you got to see everything!! very exciting about the bison. i'll show the kids tomorrow they will like to see those pics i konw. :)

Natalie said...

Another successful Yellowstone trip for you guys! I'm quite jealous as well! I've been going to yellowstone/island park my whole life and am yet to see a bear!