Wednesday, August 26, 2009

MiCe WiTh WINGS!?!



Yes that is correct, we have MICE WITH WINGS, also known as BATS!
We had a few at the beginning of summer but thought they had moved because we could no longer see them. Then I noticed the amount of Bat scat on my side walk growing. Oh well, so there are bats that sleep in the eves of our house, big deal. Apparently it is a big deal.

One night while my landlord was out watering the cows he decided to count the number of bats coming out of our house, over 70! So he decided to plug the holes and leave one spot where they could get out but not back in. The next night as he comes to watch them exit his contraption, they come SWOOPING out of the attic vents. Now he is very upset; bound and determined to get them out. I still am not even phased by it. It's not like they are going to come and attack me as I'm passing by, they're scared of people. Braden on the other hand, has been engulfed in this whole process of counting, watching, and trying to rid of the bats. While at the same time trying to stay as far away from them as he can, and trying to convince me and the landlords son they are Vampire Bats!

Landlord does some research and puts screens over the attic vents taping three sides down, allowing them to fly out the bottom and not re-enter. We come home Monday night at 10pm, I'm unloading stuff out of my car and Braden says he's going to get a flashlight out of the house to see the screens. Not Two seconds after Braden enters the house he comes running out SHouTinG my name! ANNIE, ANNIE, THERE'S BATS IN OUR HOUSE!!!! I don't believe him, I look in the window and can see a bat flying around!!

-Bats in my attic, not so much of a problem, Bats in my House, HUGE problem!!-

Landlord comes over, we enter the house and the bat is hiding behind a picture on my mantle. Landlord props door open, gets broom, plans to shew bat outside. Bat doesn't move... Landlord cleans pictures off mantle, pokes bat, nothing! I'm inside (with my jacket and hood on) trying to assist by getting anything he needs. Braden and landlord's son are outside hollering to be careful and get the bat out! Landlords son get curious and comes inside, HUGE BAT ENTERS WITH HIM!! I scream, we all duck. Huge bat continues to fly around and around, meanwhile little bat stays on mantle and I am LAUGHING HISTARICALY. Landlord crawls over to light switch to turn the lights off, I wave the broom up in the air every time the bat goes towards the door, we are 96% sure the bat flys out. Landlord rids of bat on mantle and we SeArCH for place of entry of little bat.....In my VERY MESSY HOUSE! I was so embarrassed! We come to the conclusion that bat entered through the door with Braden
or through swamp cooler vent.

Braden and I lay down in our own bed around midnight. After we had debated for one hour whether to stay here or sleep somewhere else
and moving EVERYTHING in our room to make sure it is bat-free. Sleep restlessly for 5 1/2hours and go to work. Next morning: Landlord calls Braden to see if we found anymore bats and calls critter control. Later informs us, bats start migrating about the 1st week of September so they advised him to wait for the bats to leave, then plug holes so they do not return next year.


So far, since Monday, we have been bat free (at least inside). Let's hope it stays that way!


6 comments:

The Ballard's said...

I have the hee-be Gee-bies right now. Good thing you thought it was funny. I thought about you all day today as I was cleaning:)

Fox said...

Just when I'm feeling sorry for myself for having a mouse in my house I read this. Way Funny!!!

Emily M. said...

Bahahahaha! This totally just made my day!

Britney said...

Oh my heck! I am laughing my head off! I can just imagine how scared Braden was! You are one brave girl Annie! I think I'd have to move! One time when there was a mouse in my room I didn't sleep in it for days! I don't even wanna think about what I'd have to do if there were bats! Mice that fly are even worse than mice on the ground! This ranks right up there As one of the funniest posts ever!

Jenilyn said...

Yup that is not funny at all, more like terrifying! I feel bad for Braden! P.S. great job on the little animated bat- that's very IMPRESSIVE

Kelly & Jamie said...

Those dang wanna-be birds! ha ha that story is way funny and you guys handled it good, i would have been screaming like a murderer was in the house!